Working & Studying

Work programs for International Students in Canada

 To read a complete summary of international student work and immigration benefits download the special CUAC three part report prepared for Canada’s career website for students,

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)

CIC offers international students studying in Canada the opportunity to work during their studies. There are 3 options and students may do one or all of these.

  1. On-campus employment
  2. Off-campus work permit program
  3. Co-op work permits

For additional information, below is a list of work programs available to international students, noting that more detailed information on the individual programs is available on the CIC website.

  1. On-campus work

    International students may work on-campus at the host institution without a work permit, if they fulfill eligibility criteria.*

    *All institutions that are members of the Canadian University Application Centre are eligible immediately on arrival for on-campus work.

    You can take any kind of job: libraries, laboratories, restaurants, bookstores, gymnasiums and swimming pools, research assistance for professors, etc. Students normally earn $10/hour up to $12-15 and sometimes more.

    More information is available at the Canadian government official website here

  2. Off-Campus Work Permit Program (OCWPP)

    International students may work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during academic sessions, and full-time during scheduled breaks. Students must satisfy eligibility requirements and again, all students at CUAC universities are eligible for this.

    In fact, all CUAC universities have international student offices to guide students on how to apply for an off-campus work permit. Often salaries can be even higher than on-campus jobs. During summer recess (May to August), if students prefer to work full-time rather than take academic courses, this work permit allows them to take a job anywhere in Canada.

    More information is available at the Canadian government official website here

  3. Co-op and Internship Programs

    For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum! International students can get amazing work experience and earn excellent money too, during their Bachelor studies.

    Check out our Great Universities page

    If you qualify for co-op, each CUAC university has a special office designed to help you get the necessary work permit, as well as to prepare your curriculum vitae, arrange job interviews and prepare you for these interviews!

    More information is available at the Canadian government official website here